Monday, June 18, 2012

Recipe Monday

I got this idea when I accidentally used some cheddar cheese with taco seasoning to make macaroni and cheese for myself when I was craving it. I didn't think that it would be that noticeable, but it was quite spicy and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much, that I came up with my own recipe for a spicy version of macaroni and cheese. 

Ingredients


Start by boiling some water and adding 1 cup of dry pasta once it is to a boil. 

While your pasta is cooking, you can dice up the whole red bell pepper. 

Then saute it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil (or other preferred oil to cook with) and season with salt and pepper to taste. I would say that I let these cook for about 5 minutes on a medium high heat. Long enough to soften them slightly, but so that they still have a bite to them. 

You'll also need to grate up 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of pepper jack cheese. 

Once your pasta is fully cooked then you can strain it. I feel like this kind of unnecessary to tell you, but I figured I would include it just in case you're wondering what happened to the pasta in the next couple of steps. 

Okay, now listen to me very carefully. I added in all of my shredded cheese along with 1/2 cup of non-fat milk. DO NOT DO THIS!

Your poor cheese will clump up into a big chunk. It was traumatic and I was honestly pretty angry. Luckily, since the cheese just clumps together I was able to get it all out and start over. So, what you actually need to do is add a little bit of milk then a little bit of cheese. Whisk the heck out of it until it is all blended together. Then add a little more milk, a little more cheese, and whisk again. Keep doing this until you've added in all of your milk and cheese. 

Phew. Luckily after doing that, I ended up with a nice and creamy cheese sauce. 

I hope my experience with making the sauce doesn't scare you off. Be careful if you are pretty sensitive to spicy foods or don't enjoy them because I'm telling you now - this has some kick. 

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment