Monday, June 11, 2012

Recipe Monday

Here's another recipe that isn't really a recipe. It's more of a simple snack idea I had. Eh, it still works, right? I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of chocolate by itself. However, chocolate with fruit is awesome and I thought this would be a easy summer snack. 

Ingredients
To start off you'll need to peel your oranges. Use however many you'd like. I don't think it's completely necessary to tell you how to peel an orange, but I would like to say that an orange peeler is a fun little tool to have in the kitchen. 

It just makes cuts into the skin then you can peel of the pieces of skin more easily. I like doing it this way because if I just use my hands I end up sticking my thumb straight through the orange at some point.

I ended up peeling three oranges. I started by cutting off the outer white part, mainly for presentation. The pieces get a little too flimsy though, so I left the other slices alone. 

Then you need to melt your chocolate. I used 60% cocoa chocolate chips. I decided to melt them using the microwave method because I didn't have the tools to make a double boiler. You can see how to use the double boiler method in a previous post where I made Almond Joy Bites. The microwaving method is simply putting your microwave on a medium heat setting and cooking the chocolate for 20 second intervals while stirring between each one. 

Once your chocolate is completely melted then you're ready to dip your oranges. 

I suggest dipping them only halfway, much less messy this way. Then lay them on sheet pan covered in wax paper. Then stick them in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate hardens. 

The contrast between the dark chocolate and orange is what makes this so awesome. They're not too sweet or too bitter. A perfect match. I'm glad I could bring these two together.

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment