Friday, June 15, 2012

.

I always find copy cat recipes to be fun. It's just nice to be able to make something from scratch instead of depending on the premade version. This week I'm trying to make some DIY Cheez-Its!


First of all, you're going to need a food processor for this. I imagined making this with my hand blender and thought that it wouldn't work out very well. You can try it with whatever mixing machine you'd like, but for the sake of making this easy I borrowed a food processor. 

The first ingredients to go in are the cheese, butter, vegetable shortening, salt, and cayenne pepper. I used margarine in place of butter (because I didn't realize I was out before I started this) and I used olive oil in place of vegetable shortening (because I can). 

My favorite version of Cheez-Its are the spicy ones. They're advertised as having Tabassco sauce in them, but to make mine have a little kick I decided to add some Tapatio. This is not in the original recipe from She Makes and Bakes, so feel free to ignore this part. 

Blend that up until it's just combined. 

Add in your flour. I used unbleached all purpose. 

Blend that and it should become crumbly. If you're having a problem with this getting mixed thoroughly then use a spoon or spatula to stir it around a little or just shake it while it's blending. I don't know if that last suggestion is really a good one, but I did it. Oops.

Then add in your ice water. 

Blend again and you have your dough. I was so relieved to see that this actually turned into a dough. I thought that this was going to be a big failure at first, but somehow it all came together.

Wrap your dough and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes. That gives you plenty of time to clean up if you made a mess (like I did). 

After your dough has chilled, roll it out and cut it into squares. I used a pizza cutter, but you can use a dough cutter if you're fancy and have one. Also, She Makes and Bakes used a ruler to make each piece even. I just went with it and let them be a little imperfect. 

Poke a little hole in the center of each piece to help them not get too puffy. Sprinkle with a little salt.

Then place them on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes. I was able to fit all of my pieces onto one sheet, but I also cut the recipe in half. 

These absolutely did taste like Cheez-Its. Mine got a little too brown, but they were still tasty! Also, they weren't as spicy as I would've liked them to be, but there was a slight kick. Overall, the process really wasn't that big of a pain, so I think I might do this again sometime. 

 To see the full recipe, visit She Makes and Bakes

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment