Monday, May 21, 2012

Recipe Monday

 
I'm using quinoa again! That special ingredient that is a grain yet a protein. I was pretty excited to use this ingredient again because it's so versatile! You can almost do anything with it and it just takes on the flavors of whatever you're using.

Ingredients

I bought my quinoa in bulk, so it needed to be rinsed before cooking it. If you buy quinoa this way as well, start out by putting your quinoa (1 cup dry) in some water and letting it soak for 15 minutes at least. 

While your quinoa is soaking your can prep most of your fresh ingredients. Get ready for a lot of pictures of diced and chopped produce. Dice up 1/2 a red onion.

Dice up 1/4 head of red cabbage.

Dice up 1/2 jalapeno or a whole one if you'd like. Honestly, I just had 1/2 left from making guacamole.

Dice 2 Roma tomatoes. Feel free to use another type of tomato. I love Roma tomatoes so much though.

Rinse 1 can of corn (14.5 oz) and add that, along with your other ingredients, into a large bowl.

Rinse 1 can of black beans (14.5 oz) and add to the rest of your ingredients. Feel free to use fresh corn or dried beans (soaked, obviously) in place of the canned items. Although I used canned, I made sure to buy the organic canned items. That makes up for it, right? Anyway, once you add in your beans, mix everything up and set it in the fridge until you need it again.

 This should have given your quinoa plenty of time to soak. Drain it and give it a good rinse. Make sure to use a fine mesh or metal strainer. If you use a regular colander then your quinoa will just fall out! You could even use a cheese cloth if you have one. 

Then it's time to cook your quinoa. I used 1 cup of quinoa which needs 1.25 cups of water. Bring it to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes.

Once your quinoa is done, dice up a large handful of cilantro and throw it in the pan with the quinoa.

Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the pot as well.

Give it a good stir.

Add the quinoa to your other ingredients and mix well. Then you're ready to serve it up!

Feel free to add some other seasonings to this. Salt, cayenne, garlic, more lime, olive oil, whatever. I loved being able to taste all of the fresh produce, so I kept it pretty simple. I made my husband a steak cooked with adobo seasonings and he loved everything. This is awesome. Try it. Let me know if you do.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. this looks delicious, i usually make a similar quinoa recipe but it doesn't have as many ingredients, will have to try yours! yumtacular.

    ReplyDelete