Monday, April 30, 2012

Recipe Monday

Every once and awhile I really crave lentils. Does that sound strange? Well, I had a strong craving for lentils this past week and that's how I came up with this recipe. And yes, my craving was satisfied. 

Ingredients

I forgot to mention! This recipe is awesome because it's a crock pot recipe. Yes! So, set your crock pot to high and pour in 2 cans of vegetable broth (29 oz.) along with 3/4 cup of lentils. 

Add in 1 can of diced tomatoes as well (14.5 oz.).

You will also need 1 cup of diced carrots. 

And 2 large russet potatoes diced into large chunks. 

Place the carrots and potatoes into the crock pot. Now you need to season it up a bit. Add in 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (or 2 cloves). 

1 tablespoon of the red curry powder. Feel free to adjust this depending on your preference when it comes to the curry flavor and heat. 

1/2 teaspoon of ground up coriander seed (and of course, pepper and salt).  

At this point I put the cover on the crock pot and let it cook on high for about 4 hours. 

After about 4 hours into the whole thing I decided to cook up the chicken. I'm sure you could do this later, sooner, or whenever really. I used 5 chicken tenders and seasoned them in pepper, salt, and curry powder. Cook them in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil. Of course, this is optional! Just forget about this chicken if you want to keep this dish vegetarian. 

After the chicken is cooked and has rested for a few minutes, dice it up into small pieces. Place all of your chicken into the crock pot. 

Lower your heat to low at this point and let it go for about another 2 hours. I also added 2 tablespoons of corn starch mixed with some water to thicken it all up. 

After the last 2 hours on low, your stew should be ready to go. Everything should be nice and tender and delicious. Oh, so delicious. 

I suggest serving this up with a dollop of yogurt. It perfects the whole thing.

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment