Monday, April 9, 2012

Recipe Monday

I am a big fan of kale. I say this even though I've only had it a few times and mainly in soup. I think I still qualify as a big fan. I'm a big enough fan that I decided to use it in the recipe for this week. 

Ingredients

Start by taking the stems off of your kale and tearing the kale into bite sized pieces. You can use a knife if you would prefer, but it is pretty easy to do with your hands. Place all of the torn, chopped, or whatever kale into a large bowl. 

Raw kale can be pretty tough as far as texture goes. In order to use it in this salad (or any salad), we're going to soften it up a bit. Start by putting a little bit of sea salt into your kale (no more than 1 teaspoon). 

Then give it a good massage. As you massage it, you will notice that your kale will change to a darker green and will soften as well. This will also make your kale shrink down a bit. So, don't be scared to chop up a lot of kale to use for this. I used half of the bunch that I bought, but I could have used more even. Once your kale has softened to your preferred texture, set it to the side. 

Now it's time for the dressing. Start by dicing up one avocado. Put it into a medium sized bowl, food processor, or whatever you'd like really. Something you'll be able to blend it in basically! I used a hand blender, so I just used the plastic container that it came with. 

Then add in the juice from one lemon. 

1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. 

1/4 cup of olive oil. 

Then blend it all together. Give it a taste and season however you would like (I added in a little more cayenne). 

Dice up 1 red bell pepper. 

Dice up your cashews. I used raw cashews. I ended up with about 1/2 cup. Then take your diced peppers, cashews, and the onion sprouts and top your kale with all of those items. 

You end up with a very fresh and tasty salad. Yumm, yumm, yummmmm.

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment