Monday, March 12, 2012

Recipe Monday


I've been dying to work with quinoa for awhile now. I started learning more about it as I became invested in more and more food blogs. I decided for my first try that I would come up with a recipe for it completely on my own. Here's what I ended up doing. 

Ingredients

Dice up 1 whole butternut squash and 2 Macintosh apples (or other apple of choice). 

Start cooking your quinoa according to the packaging. 

Once your quinoa has come to a boil and is simmering, start to saute the apples and squash. Combine it in a large pan alone with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute over a medium heat. 

Once your quinoa has cooked for the appropriate time or soaked up all of the water, set it to the side. 

When your squash and apples are tender (after about 10-15 minutes), add in 3 tablespoons of packed brown sugar. 

Also add in 2/3 cup of chopped walnuts. Stir until the brown sugar has dissolved and the walnuts are well combined. 

Finally add in your quinoa (you need 2 cups of cooked quinoa). Give it a good stir.

I served this as a side dish along with some grilled chicken. It was awesome with the chicken. The sweetness of it just adds a little kick in the mouth. A good kick in the mouth.

Until next time.

1 comment: