Friday, March 2, 2012

.



As I started this project, I found the tutorial hard to follow. I now know why. It's kind of hard to explain. Also, I'm not good at sewing, so that probably didn't help. For this project you'll need a tank top, scissors, and pins. 

Start by cutting off any tags that might be on the inside of your tank top. 

Leave your tank top inside out and fold it so that the holes on the arms line up. Then fold the bottom over to a few inches under the arm holes. 

Line it all up evenly and then pin it in place. 

Now comes the super fun part. Sewing it together. Can you hear the sarcasm? Is it screaming at you? Because trust me, I am being more sarcastic than I have ever been. I've officially decided that my sewing machine has problems. It isn't completely my fault. 

So, once I got the sides sewn together, I realized that, hey, if I sew lines down the middle of this (to create pockets) then I won't be able to turn it right side out. I then folded it differently so that there is a hole in the bottom and each end is folded over on its own side. Does that make sense? See, it's hard to explain! 

Then I sewed a straight line down the center of each side and this creates 4 pockets in total. The original tutorial made 6 pockets, but guess what? I broke 2 needles on my sewing machine and didn't have any more. So, I just stopped there. I had to hand sew the bottom closed, but you can just use your sewing machine if you're not a complete failure like I am. 

After you're done with the whole tutorial, you should have a pretty cute little tote. Um, I ended up with a kind of depressing looking tote. The pockets on the inside are worthless. They just droop down. I mean, I can still use it. I think I'll use it as another reusable grocery bag. What I really learned from all of this is that I need to learn how to sew. 

Until next time.


2 comments:

  1. awww i'm sorry! your post made me laugh though! :P I can't sew either, so I'm right there with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great idea, and I think it looks great. I would not be able to do that. 1. I don't have a sewing machine. 2. I have no clue how to sew. 3. It does sound super confusing. I think you did an amazing job!! Can we do it with glue of some sort? :) Love your site!

    ReplyDelete