Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe Monday

I know, I know. It sounds weird, but just go with me on this one. I came up with this recipe because I was listening to a discussion on pies and how most of them are fruit pies. Well, I got to thinking about all of the different fruits and thought, "Hey, avocado is a fruit. I could make it into a pie!" So, that's exactly what I did.

Ingredients

I started by making the crust so that it could set. Before you do that, you'll want to zest your lime and set the zest off to the side. You'll need the rest of the lime to make the crust though.

Add 1.5 cups of crushed graham crackers into your pie pan. Then add the juice of one whole lime. This will be approximately 2 tablespoons, depending on the lime. 

Add in 4 tablespoons of melted butter. 

Mix it all together and form it into a crust along the bottom and sides of your pan. I just used my hands, it seemed to be the easiest way to get the job done. Put this in your fridge to help it start to set. 

In a mixing bowl, add in 2 skinned and diced avocados, 1.5 cups of sour cream, and 1 egg. 

Mix this on a medium speed setting until it is nice and smooth. I mean, you really want this smooth. Make sure there aren't any lumps of avocado hiding at the bottom of your bowl. 

Then you'll add in 1 teaspoon of your lime zest, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 3 tablespoons of flour (all-purpose unbleached). Mix again until well combined and smooth. 

Pour your mixture into your pie crust and let it chill in your refrigerator for 1 hour. Once it has chilled, bake it for 10 minutes at 400 degrees then lower the temperature to 325 and cook for another 20 minutes. 

Let your pie cool completely before cutting into it or else you'll just have a big mess. You want this to get nice and set up. Serve it with a little bit of whipped cream or just eat it plain. It's AWESOME! I loved it so much. It's like a mild key lime pie. It's super creamy and just delightful. I hope you'll give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I did. Oh, one more thing. Don't be alarmed if your pie starts to brown slightly on top after sitting for a day or two. It's an avocado thing. 

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I have to admit, my first thought was "won't it turn brown?".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I will have to try this. And blog about it. And possibly suggest putting it on the menu in my Mexican restaurant...but then decide against it and simply devour it by myself.

    ReplyDelete