Monday, February 13, 2012

Recipe Monday

This is such a basic recipe that everyone knows, right? You can kind of just make up this soup as you go as long as you include the necessary broccoli and cheddar. I'm still going to share this recipe with you because I think people sometimes don't realize how easy some recipes can be. Also, I wanted to share the delicious pretzel bread that I made to go along with this. 

 Ingredients

One big pot is all that you need for this. Start by dicing up 1 cup of celery and putting it into the pot along with 1 teaspoon garlic and 1/2 tablespoon oil. Let your celery saute for about 10 minutes or until it softens slightly. Add in 2 tablespoons of flour and stir to get it mixed with everything currently in your pot. This will act as thickener for the soup.

Then it's basically just a matter of dumping everything else in. I used a can of vegetable broth that was 14.5 ounces (approx. 2 cups), 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of diced broccoli. Of course, you will also want to season with pepper and salt to taste. Then you're going to let this all simmer for about 20-30 minutes. 

Look at this glorious pretzel bread. I love pretzels. Love 'em. If you want to make these, you'll of course want to start them ahead of time. The whole process took a little over an hour. I timed it to where the bread was done sometime during the soup's cooking process. Here's the recipe that I used for this bread. I did change a couple of things. Obviously, I made these into two large pieces rather than several small ones. I also baked these at 375 degrees for 30 minutes and added corn meal to the oiled pan before baking. 

I wanted them done previous to the soup being done so that I could prepare them to act as bowls. Basically you just cut off the tops and then hollow out the inside. Save your insides for dipping or for a snack later on even. 

Back to the soup. Once it has cooked for approx. 30 minutes then you can add in your cheddar cheese. I used 1 cup. Then just mix it in and let it melt. Give it a taste, add pepper and salt if needed. 

Scoop some soup into your bread bowls and enjoy! 

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. OMG this looks so good! :) I think I am going to make it tonight tanks for positing the recipe on Tasty Kitchen!

    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete