Monday, February 27, 2012

Recipe Monday

I used to never be a big fan of coconut, but now I am a huge fan. Almond Joys are one of my favorite candies. I mean, come on, it combines three delicious things. Thinking about those three simple ingredients helped me to come up with this little dessert. 

 Ingredients

I wanted to get unsweetened coconut flakes, but couldn't find any. So, if you feel like attempting it the originally planned way, go for it! You'll want to spread about 1/4 - 1/2 of the package (14 oz.) onto a cooking sheet. Then you'll stick in a preheated oven set to 325°F for about 10-15 minutes.

The key is to keep an eye on your coconut. It will go to from white to toasted so quickly. I missed it and ended up toasting mine a little too long, but it was still tasty. Just make sure to toss it all every few minutes and really keep an eye on it. Transfer your toasted coconut into a smaller bowl or onto a small plate. 

Now it's time to melt our chocolate! I did this using the double boiler method. You just fill up your pot a little less than halfway with water and bring it to a boil. 

Then put either a metal or glass bowl into the top that fits nice and snug. You don't want your water touching the bottom of the bowl, so you can adjust that if needed at this point. Then just add in your chocolate and stir. I used 1 package of dark chocolate morsels (10 oz.)

Keep stirring until your chocolate is nice and smooth. Then remove it from the heat because you don't want to burn your chocolate. 

Now it's time to put these things all together. Take a almond, dip it in chocolate. I just used the smallest spoon I could find to help me dip. It seemed like the least messy method. 

Drop your chocolate covered almond into the toasted coconut and cover it completely. 

Place all of your finished bites onto a foil lined cooking sheet. Parchment paper would work as well! Set them in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. 

After they've had time to set up, you have this delicious bite sized dessert. I decided to share mine with friends and family, so they were all gone after one day. I'm sad and think I'll make more again soon. It's probably bad news that I made this recipe. I think I'm addicted. 

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome idea! I love Almond Joys. Maaaaybe you need to make some for our roadtrip. haha I wouldn't be upset if you did. :)

    ReplyDelete