Monday, January 30, 2012

Recipe Monday

I'm crazy about popcorn. I love the flavor, the smell, and the crunch of it. The main reason I decided to come up with this simple, simple recipe is because of the way you prepare the popcorn itself. Are you excited? Get excited.

 Ingredients

You're going to need some paper lunch bags. Go out and invest. By invest, I mean spend a dollar for 50 of these. Seriously, super cheap. I found 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels to be the right about per bag.  Pour your kernels into the bag and roll the top down a couple of times. Then...

Stick it in the microwave! Are you as excited as I was once I realized you can just make your own microwaveable popcorn? Please, don't tell me that I was the only one that didn't know this. You don't need any oil or anything. Just throw it in there and set it for about 2 - 2.5 minutes (or until you hear the popping start to slow down). 

See? It really works! So magical. I wanted to just keep popping popcorn all day. Of course, if you're not ripping open a bag for a picture then you could probably even reuse the bags.

Moving on to the topping. You'll need to make some simple syrup. This is just a simple (ha!) mixture of water and sugar. You need 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. I ended up popping 3/4 cup of kernels and used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Put the water and sugar into a pot over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely. 

Once you have your simple syrup made, toss it in with your popcorn and stir quickly. Get all of that popcorn nice and covered. Then toss on 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and a little bit of salt to taste. If you're not a fan of heat, just use less cayenne (or just leave it out). 

Let it cook at 250 degrees for 1 hour (stirring the popcorn every 20 minutes) and then you have a crunchy and tasty snack! It's basically like a kicked up kettle corn. I enjoyed it and I especially enjoyed being able to share my new popping technique!

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I didn't know you could make microwave popcorn like that either. :)

    My microwave doesn't seem to like popcorn though, so I'll probably keep making it on the stove. I'd love to try the sugar/cayenne combo though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, my situation is totally opposite. For some reason my stove top popcorn hasn't been working out. So, I super excited when this did work out.

      Delete