Monday, January 23, 2012

Recipe Monday

Have I mentioned that I love making soups? I think we've covered that once or twice now. I do! I can't help myself. Especially when it's below freezing outside and all you want to do is get warm. Ugh, winter. Who's with me?

 Ingredients

Dice your onion, celery, and carrots. You'll need 1.5 cups of each. 

Put a little bit of olive oil into a pan along with 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (approx. 2 cloves). Heat that up for a little bit then toss in your diced onion, celery, and carrots. Saute those until they start to soften a little. 

While your other veggies are sauteing, you can put everything else into a pot. I used two 14.5 oz. cans of vegetable broth (which is approx. 4 cups). Throw in 1 bay leaf. 

1 teaspoon of parsley.

1/4 cup of barley. 

1 cup of corn. 

1 cup of peas. 

Add all of your other veggies once they've softened a little and gotten that garlic flavor all soaked in. Bring the whole thing to a boil and then let it simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. You definitely want to make sure that your barley gets softened completely. Stir often to make sure nothing sinks to the bottom and sticks. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

I know this looks like a boring bowl of vegetable soup to some, but this really hit the spot for me. I ended up adding a good amount of pepper which gave it a little heat. The other seasonings just worked so well together and this was such a comforting soup. I also love the texture that the barley adds. We had no problem eating it for dinner AND lunch the next day.

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment