Monday, January 16, 2012

Recipe Monday

Salads have been on my mind lately. I don't know why, but they have been. As my mind started to wander into the world of salads, I begin to think of traditional ones. Then I began to think of ways that I could sort of revamp those salads. So, here's what I came up with. 

Ingredients
Along with all of the marked ingredients, you'll also need this special guest ingredient. Liquid smoke. I think you can find it at almost any grocery store. You might just have to look a little harder. 

Start by hard boiling your eggs first. This will take a little time, so it's nice to just get it out of the way. I use this technique when it comes to boiling eggs. Oh, and I used two eggs. 

While your eggs are boiling, you can begin to dice all of your other ingredients. Chop up some romaine and spinach. I think I used 2 hearts of romaine and about 2 cups of spinach. Mix it all together in a bowl. 

Dice up 1 avocado, 1/2 of a bunch of green onions, a handful of grape tomatoes, and 2 boiled eggs (once they're done and cooled). 

As you might have noticed, there is no meat in the ingredients list above. Traditionally, a Cobb salad comes with chicken and bacon on it. I decided to cut out the meat completely and try to imitate it in a way. So, dice up your 6 oz. of portabella mushrooms and then soak them in about 2-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke. I didn't give myself very much time to soak them, but it would be nice to give yourself about an hour or so if you had the time. 

Throw your mushrooms into a pan with a little bit of olive oil and saute them until they're done to your preference. They'll shrink up quite a bit, but I found 6 ounces to be MORE than enough for two large salads.

While your mushrooms are cooling (cause I hate putting hot food onto my salad) you can mix up your dressing! For this you will need 5 oz. of Greek yogurt, 4 tablespoons of light mayonnaise (I used the kind made with olive oil), 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of dill. You'll also need 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, a dash of pepper, and a dash of salt. Mix well. I guess you could consider this a lightened up ranch dressing?

Then you just assemble it all. Oh, make sure to throw on some of your crumbled cheese along with all of your other diced goodies. Everything worked so well together. The smokiness of the the mushrooms really helped to bring a nice rich tone to this salad. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. 

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. the mushroons are a great idea. I normally avoid them because of the meat (and cucumbers that are often in the place of the avocado), but this i would eat.

    ReplyDelete