Monday, January 9, 2012

Recipe Monday

I'm not going to lie. I was a little nervous about coming back after doing 12 days of blogging straight. I  felt like I had invested all of my thoughts into thinking of Christmas ideas and then I felt clueless on where to go once it was over. Luckily, our vacation gave me time to gather my thoughts and start thinking on where to go from here. This year I not only want to think of more original ideas, but I also plan on trying out more recipes and ideas that I find through blogs that I love. 

Ingredients

I actually wanted this to be a butternut squash salsa, but unfortunately there weren't any at the grocery store my husband went to. Yes, I sent him out to do my shopping for this recipe. I've actually been sick since we've gotten back and haven't gotten out of the house at all. It's been miserable. Okay, let's focus on the recipe now. Scoop out the insides of your squash (and save the seeds to toast them if you'd like). 

Dice up your whole squash. You'll obviously want to cut the skin off before you dice it. I don't think that I had a very ripe squash, which was disappointing. Look for one that is a little more orange on the skin. It will give it more of that delicious squash flavor. 

Throw your diced squash into a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Add in 1 teaspoon of minced garlic as well (if you decide to mince your own, that's about 2 cloves). Then saute your squash until it is tender. I didn't let mine get too mushy, but you can prepare it to the texture that you most prefer. 

Set your squash aside and let it cool. 

Then you dice up the rest of your ingredients and toss it all into one bowl. I used 2 roma tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 jalapeno, and a handful of cilantro. 

Throw in your cooled squash and give it a good mix. Season with salt to taste. 

This was so fresh and delicious. My husband really enjoyed it as well (it always makes me happy when  he is impressed). I served this up with some homemade tortilla chips. Well, semi-homemade I guess. I bought some whole wheat tortillas, tossed them in olive oil, and then baked them at 400 degrees for 5 minutes on each side. Awesome. Delicious. Fantastic. 

Until next time.

This post is part of Get Your Craft On Tuesday at Today's Creative Blog!

1 comment:

  1. I don't like squash, but I might actually like this! Maybe I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete