Friday, December 9, 2011

DIY Christmas Decorations

It's another project involving mason jars! I'm slowly working my way through all of my left over jars. I actually think I might be a little sad once they're all gone. 

Making your own snow globe really isn't difficult at all. You need very few supplies and you can really  just be creative and add whatever you think will look cute. 

Using the hot glue gun, I secured the two parts of the lid together. I hoped that this would prevent any leaking. I'm not really sure if it was necessary or not, but I did it. 

The little figurine that I bought to put inside the snow globe is actually a small candle that I found in the dollar spot at Target. Cheap is good. 

The only bad thing was that the hot glue gun didn't work when trying to get him to stick to the lid. It wouldn't stick to the wax. So, I ended up using this gorilla glue instead. 

The most difficult thing about this whole project was picking out which color of glitter I wanted to use. I love glitter. I wanted to use them all. I wanted to throw them around the room and have a party. I love shiny things. Please don't judge me. 

I went with gold for this one and started dumping it in. I'm not going to lie, I went a little overboard.
Oh yeah, and fill the jar with water. Don't fill it too high, because your little figurine with push up the water some. I remembered this AFTER water went dumping out onto my counter (and glitter).  

I remembered that I had some little ball ornaments left over from the DIY cupcake ornaments I made.
So, I threw a handful of those in there as well.  

Shake, shake, shake, shake! Gorgeous. 

One wasn't enough. I had to keep going. Draw something decorative on the outside of your jar. I went with snowflakes, if you couldn't tell. I'm not super artistic. 

Add your water and a drop of food coloring. This time you can fill it all the way with water. 

Glitter time! I tried to use a little less this time, but then I thought it was too little. I should have just stuck with putting too much in. More is better when it comes to glitter. 

Shake, shake, shake, shake!

You can keep going and make as many as you'd like. Keep changing it up and have fun with it. 
Make them extra sparkly for me!

Until next time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment