Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY Christmas Decorations

Every Friday this month I will be sharing DIY Christmas decorations. I'm trying to make this a fun experience by using some ideas that I've found elsewhere (because let's face it, sometimes it's hard to think of your own ideas). I do have a few ideas though that I will be sharing as well. This first project was sent to me by a friend and it came from here. It seemed too easy and way too cute to not try it out. 

You'll need some regular sized ball ornaments, cupcake liners, and miniature ball ornaments. I bought all plastic in order to avoid breaking anything. Foil liners also seemed like they would work better in order for the glue to not soak through. 

In order to hold everything together you're going to need a hot glue gun. Trust me, just go with this. I tried using super glue first because it was what I had on hand. It absolutely did not work. It just made a mess and also made me frustrated.

Start by taking the tops out of your regular sized ornaments. 
Sorry about my really unattractive band-aid. I decided to cut my finger instead of paper with scissors earlier this week. I'm really careful like that. 

Then put them top side down into the liners and glue the liner to the ornament around the edges of the liner. 

Add a little glue to the bottom of your miniature ornament and then stick it to the top of your other ornament that is already glued into the liner. This will imitate the cherry. I mean, that's pretty obvious, but just in case someone didn't get it. 

Add a hook, ribbon, or string to the top. Then you have a cute little cupcake ornament to place on your Christmas tree! You can have a lot of fun with this by changing up the colors of the ornaments that you use or by adding some glitter glue to imitate icing. The original source of this idea has an easy and cute way for making the "icing." Not only are these good for decorating, but they could also be an adorable gift. This is a pretty stress-free project which makes it perfect for the holidays. 

Until next time.

4 comments:

  1. these are SO cute! i think i'm going to be making them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing it! : )

    ReplyDelete