Wednesday, December 21, 2011

12 Days of Christmas {Day 8}

You know what I love? Making things that seem way more complicated than they really are. I always enjoy buying different types of butters and spices to use when cooking. Realizing that I can make these items just as easily is super exciting. 

The first compound butter that we're going to make is dill lemon butter. 

You'll need 1/4 cup softened butter, 2 teaspoons dried dill, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. I would've loved to use lemon zest instead, but I didn't want to run out to get a lemon just for this project. Sorry that I am not more dedicated. Smash all of your ingredients together using a spatula. 

Spread your mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap. 

Roll it up tightly and put it in the freezer until it hardens. 

The next one we're making is mulled wine butter. Yes, this is a sweet butter. Yummm!

Start by putting 1/4 cup of red wine into a pot and bringing it to a boil. Then let it simmer until it reduces down. 

You'll reduce it down until there is about 1 tablespoon left (if that). Let it cool! Then add in your 1/4 cup of softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon all spice, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Wrap it in some plastic wrap and place it in the freezer to harden along with your other butter. 

I know, the mulled wine butter kind of looks like raw meat. It's delicious though, I swear! To gift these, I wrapped them into pieces of parchment paper and secured it with some ribbon. You'll want to keep these refrigerated until you plan on using or gifting them. You can easily double these recipes. I just made smaller versions in order to not go through so much butter. A great idea is to gift these with some homemade bread or biscuits! 

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! So detailed and cool:) Just followed x

    naturalbeings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete