Sunday, December 18, 2011

12 Days of Christmas {Day 5}

I apologize for posting this so late. I had a family Christmas get together today and have been running around all day long. If I weren't a procrastinator, I would've already had the post prepped and ready to go. Too bad I am a procrastinator and I'm now rushing to get this posted before the end of the day. I suppose it wouldn't be the 5th day of Christmas without some drama (FIVE - GOLDEN - RINGS). Okay, let's get to the gift idea for the day!

All that you really need to make the nest and egg portion of this necklace is some beading wire (I used 28 gauge) and some beads. If you want to turn this into a necklace or bracelet then you will also need a chain. You could always give this as a charm though.

Roll out your wire until you've reached what you feel to be a good length. There's no rule on how big or small this nest needs to be. I suppose you could keep the wire attached to the spool until you feel that the nest is big enough, but I think it is easier to work with when it's cut off. At the end of your wire place your beads with about an inch or so of the wire poking out the other end. You can use however many beads you feel like using. I haven't used more than three at a time and that seems to work really well. 

Wrap the end of the wire around the other side and secure your beads. 

Then you'll just start making loops behind and around the beads in order to form your nest. You'll also want to loop the wire within itself every once and awhile to secure it and maintain a somewhat tight circle. It doesn't have to be perfect! Think about how a nest looks. It always had little imperfections and that's part of its charm. 

Once you get to the end of your piece of wire, you'll want to make sure that you form a loop at the very top of the nest. This where you'll put your chain or whatever you decide to use. 

I made one for myself and kept it fairly long, so I would be able to just slide it over my head instead of worrying about clasping it. This is a GREAT gift idea for moms. You can make each "egg" a different color and change the amount in order to represent the number of children in the family. Cute, right? 

Until next time.

1 comment: