Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Days of Christmas {Day 4}

I received a request from my husband that I make these cookies this year. He's part Swedish and his family would always make traditional Swedish foods around Christmas time including these cookies. So, I found a recipe (which you can find here) and got to baking. 

I cut the recipe in half because something about using 3 sticks of butter made me feel a little sick to my stomach. So, I only had to use 1 1/2 instead! Like most cookie recipes, you start by creaming the butter and sugar together. 

This recipe used both vanilla and almond extract. I love the smell of almond extract, so I'm totally fine with any recipe that includes it. Give that a good mix. 

Then you add in your egg. You know what's fun about splitting a recipe in half that only calls for one egg in the first place? Trying to split an egg in half. I'm sure there is an easier way to do it, but I'm sure it also wouldn't be as entertaining as me trying to only get half of the egg out of the shell. 

Add your flour in and beat until you get a dough! I added 1/2 cup less flour than it called for (remember I also cut the whole recipe in half). I felt like it was going to be a little too much flour, and that a butter cookie didn't need to be quite that dense. Feel free to follow the recipe step by step or to add a little less flour like I did. 

Okay, so normally spritz are in these cute little shapes. I've seen cookie presses and things that looked very similar to my icing gun that I already owned. I figured, hey, what could be the difference! I'll just use this and everything will work out. 

It didn't work out. The dough was too thick for my cheap plastic icing gun. Kyle (my husband) had requested that the spritz be in an "S" shape because that's how he has always had them. So, it was quite upsetting to me when I realized I wouldn't be able to make them in a fun shape. Boo. 

Instead, I rolled the dough into walnut sized balls and flattened them using the back of a fork. At least it gave it somewhat of a fun design?

Stick them in a preheated oven (350 degrees) and cook for 10-15 minutes. 

Let them cook until they look slightly golden brown around the edges. Let them cool. 

Kyle approved. Despite their shape, they tasted exactly the way he remembers them always tasting. 

These are a pretty dang tasty cookie and definitely a guilty pleasure for this Christmas season. Go check out the full recipe and make some for yourself (well, and others)!

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy! :) I want to say that I would have been right there with you about the icing gun. You'd think they'd do the same thing. Oh well. live.learn.

    LOVE!
    Ash

    ps. I always break an egg into a cup and scramble it (since you'll be doing that eventually anyway in the mix) then divide that in half. I'd like to see you only get 1/2 of the egg out of the shell. How do you keep from only getting the whites?

    ReplyDelete