Friday, December 23, 2011

12 Days of Christmas {Day 10}

This is a candy that I was introduced to by my Dad. It goes by several different names. I've heard it called angel food candy and sea foam candy as well. I call it sponge candy. It's basically a puffed up toffee. I made it a couple of years ago as a gift to my Dad and decided to make it again this year as a Christmas treat for us all to enjoy.

Ingredients
white sugar
light corn syrup
vanilla extract
baking soda
canola oil (or vegetable oil)
chocolate chips (I used milk, you can use whatever)

Also, make sure that you have a spring form pan and a candy thermometer.

Line your spring form pan with parchment paper and coat the parchment paper with canola oil. Make sure that you line the paper so that it is about 2 or 3 inches taller than the sides of the pans. You'll see why this is important later. 

Mix together 2 1/2 cups of sugar, 2/3 cup of corn syrup, 6 tablespoons of water, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Put it in a pot over a medium-high heat and let it rise to 300 degrees (which is the hard crack temperature point for candy). Don't mix it while it is boiling and getting to the proper temperature. 

Take it off the heat and add in 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Whisk, whisk, whisk so that you get it all mixed in QUICKLY. This will expand and this is normal. In fact, you want it to expand!

Once you've mixed the baking soda in, pour your toffee mixture into the lined pan. 

THIS is why you want the paper taller than the sides of the pan. Your toffee will expand even more once you've poured it into the pan for it to sit. Don't worry, it shouldn't go much higher than this and then it will fall back down a little. 

Once the toffee has cooled completely, remove it from the pan. I loved, loved the idea of putting this in a spring form pan because it was SO easy to get out. Last time I made this, I had put it in a glass baking pan and it would NOT come out. I had to chisel away and got these tiny little pieces. It was horrible. This was so much easier. 

Start breaking up your toffee into bite size pieces. This will be a little messy. Actually, this will be REALLY messy. Save your crumbs! You can use them for something, I'm sure (even if it's just to munch on). This breaks apart easily if you just use a knife. 

Then you'll have a bowl full of sponge candy which you could eat just like that. 

I've always seen it coated in chocolate though, so that's exactly what I did. Melt down your chocolate chips (I ended up using 2 bags) and start dipping away. Line all of your coated candies onto some parchment paper and stick them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. 

Once they've hardened, you can transfer them into whatever you plan on serving them in or even gifting them in. I plan on keeping mine in the refrigerator until we actually eat them on Christmas Eve. You can find the recipe that I followed HERE

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. wow, these look so yummy! great post:)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MOM and GrandMOM Use to make this all the time!! I never saw it dipped in Choc though!! I will have to try it!! Thanks for the Memories and the reciepe!!

    ReplyDelete