Monday, November 21, 2011

Recipe Monday

I had been thinking about what type of recipe I should share for Thanksgiving week. I feel like there are beyond enough helpful recipes out there at this point to get you through your lunch and dinner on Thanksgiving day. I however feel that breakfast is often ignored. I love when my Mom makes a delicious little breakfast on Thanksgiving morning that kind of just gets you up and in the mood for the holiday. So, I decided to share a recipe that I actually received from my Mom. 

Ingredients
quick oats
egg
butter
white sugar
milk
baking powder
vanilla extract
salt
cranberries
pecans

A wonderful part to this recipe is that you only need ONE bowl. You can toss all of the ingredients together. I love recipes like that. In your medium-sized bowl you'll start with 1 1/2 cups of quick oats.

Melt down 1/4 cup of butter (which is a half of a stick). 

Pour the melted butter into your oats along with one egg. Stir. 

Then you can add in 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk. Stir.

Add in 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. If you want to do this exactly like I did then you can make sure to spill the vanilla onto your counter three times while trying to get a photograph of it. I guess I am not the best at multitasking. Oh, yeah, and stir. At this point you COULD stop and bake it, but I decided to kick it up a notch by adding in a couple more ingredients.

Dice up 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries. I suppose you could use frozen or dried. The fresh cranberries just seemed so much more appealing to me. I didn't mean for that to sound so snotty. It does, doesn't it?

Chop up 1/2 cup of pecans. They sell already chopped pecans, but what's the fun in that? Also, I wanted bigger chunks than the small little pieces that come in the pre-chopped bag. Add both the cranberries and the pecans into your mixture and stir. 

Spread this out into a greased 13x9 inch pan. I just used some canola oil spray to coat the pan. The mixture will seem like it JUST covers the bottom of the pan and this is absolutely what you're looking for. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until it looks like this. Nice and golden brown around the edges. 
It will also smell absolutely delicious like oatmeal cookies. Yummm!

You can cut it easily into little slices and serve it on small plates. 

I personally like to crumble it up into a bowl and top it with a little more milk. Oh, goodness.

Enjoy! No, I mean, really enjoy this. It's awesome. Plan it in for your breakfast this Thanksgiving!

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. hmmmm i love oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! I made it with applesauce and agave nectar instead of butter and sugar and it was still yummy. Thanks for the step-by-step pictures too!

    ReplyDelete