Monday, November 7, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Kiss Cookies

As soon as October hits it seems like EVERYTHING has pumpkin in it. There are a ton of pumpkin recipes that are shared and a ton that I would love to try. I think that I was pretty good about not giving into making too many pumpkin focused recipes for this blog, right? Well, October is over, so can I pretend like I achieved something by waiting until now to share this recipe? I'm going to go with yes. I found a special ingredient that made me want to create another baking recipe. So, that is exactly what I did. 

Ingredients
   all-purpose (non-bleached) flour
white granulated sugar
brown sugar
unsweetened cocoa powder
baking powder (not pictured)
almond extract
milk (non-fat)
butter (unsalted)
unsweetened applesauce
cinnamon
egg

And here's the special ingredient! I found these Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses. You'll only need one bag for the recipe and you won't even use it all (so, you can munch on the rest later). 

Start by cubing your softened butter (1/4 cup) into a bowl. Add in 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/3 cup white sugar. You could also just use 1/2 cup of butter and NO applesauce if you'd prefer. I just tried to justify making this recipe by cutting the butter in half. 

After you blend all of that together (for about 1-2 minutes) then you can add in 1 egg, 1 teaspoon almond extract, and 2 tablespoons of milk. I used non-fat, but I am sure you could use whatever milk you have on hand. 

Blend this until it is well combined. It will be really thin at this point. 

In a separate bowl, shift together your dry ingredients. This includes 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. 

Slowly add your dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Blend between each addition until all of the dry ingredients have been added into your mixture. Blend until you form a (sticky) dough. 

Place about 12 dollops of the dough onto a cooking sheet (with an inch or two in between each one). You'll want to push one (unwrapped) kiss into the top of each cookie. Place in a preheated oven set to 350 degrees. Bake for approximately 10 minutes. This recipe will make 24-30 cookies. 

Make sure to give your cookies some cooling time after they are done baking!

Then dig in! Well, try not to really dig in. Control yourself. Enjoy one or two. The pumpkin spice with the chocolate is a lovely flavor that I really enjoyed. 

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment