Friday, November 18, 2011

DIY Tiered Dessert Stand

I love baking. One of my biggest annoyances about baking was that I didn't have a very convenient or attractive way to serve up whatever I bake. I decided that it was time to do something about it and came up with an easy way to put together my own tiered dessert stand. Here's how I did it.

The first thing that I did was make a quick trip to Goodwill. There I found three plates and two stemmed glasses. I also looked for candlesticks as a possibility, but didn't find any that I thought would work for this project. I think all of these items ended up costing me less than five dollars. Pretty good deal, right? Also, aren't these plates just adorable!? I love them. I was so happy when I found them. 

The glue that I decided to use is this Gorilla Glue. I have heard that the E6000 glue is also good for similar projects to this. Just study up and decide which glue you think you'd like to use. I actually found that this glue wasn't a total pain to work with.

I just put the glue around the edges of both ends of the stemmed glass. 

Then I did a little balancing act and put some pressure on it using some books. Maybe I should have thought about my book choice a little more thoroughly, considering I'm putting this on the internet. Well, now you know internet. Yes, I own the Lauren Conrad books. I admit it. 

I just repeated this process until the whole thing came together. It only took me about 10-20 minutes of actually focusing on this project, but the wait time is about 2-3 hours. Of course, this changes depending on the glue you're using. It also changes depending on how paranoid you are about it not setting long enough. I'm a freak. 

Then, of course, I had to make something to put on my new stand. So, I threw together some cranberry muffins and placed them on it. The whole thing seemed to be very sturdy and also looked gorgeous. I couldn't be happier with the end result. This is such a simple project and the outcome ends up being a lot more unique than just a plain store bought stand. Definitely consider doing this as a DIY project if you ever find yourself needing this item. 

Until next time. 

1 comment: