Monday, November 14, 2011

Baked Green Tomatoes

I have been seeing some beautiful green tomatoes at the grocery store recently and automatically wanted some fried green tomatoes when I saw them. I decided to be a little more creative and healthy by going with making a baked version instead. They turned out to be just as delicious!

Ingredients
green tomatoes
panko bread crumbs
fat free milk
egg
garlic powder
onion powder
salt and pepper

Slice your green tomatoes. 

In a small bowl mix together your egg with 1/4 cup milk. You can also add in a little pepper and salt. 

On a large plate mix together 1 cup of panko crumbs along with 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp onion powder. You can add salt and pepper to this as well. Just don't go overboard, since there is already some in your wet mixture. 

Dip the slices of tomato in the wet mixture first. 

Then transfer the tomato to the panko crumbs and coat completely. The more patient you are, the easier the mixture will stick. 

After you have covered all of your tomatoes, transfer them to a cooking sheet. Coat them in some olive oil cooking spray. This will help the panko crumbs to get nice and crisp. Place them in a preheated oven set to 350 and cook 20-30 minutes (flipping them half way through). Be gentle!

Then enjoy these tasty little guys. I made a quick dipping sauce by just taking some plain yogurt and adding some parsley and paprika to it. Super delicious!

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous!! I posted a review on Tasty Kitchen too. I hope you don't mind if I pin this....gotta share!! Let me know if you want me to remove the pin, thanks for a great healthy twist!

    ReplyDelete