Monday, October 31, 2011

grown-up fall treats (pt. 3)

The fall season is full of many exciting traditions. One of those traditions is pumpkin carving. I especially look forward to this because I know that I can roast up some pumpkin seeds afterwards. Although I am usually perfectly happy with the simple salted pumpkin seeds, I decided to kick mine up a notch this year. 

Ingredients
pumpkin seeds
thin pretzel sticks
almonds
wheat thins stix (fire-roasted tomato)
creole or cajun seasoning
paprika
worcestershire sauce
olive oil
salt

Make sure that you rinse your pumpkin seeds and dry them completely. 

In a large bowl mix together 2 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds, 2 cups almonds, 2 cups pretzel sticks, and an 8 oz. bag of Wheat Thins Stix (Fire-Roasted Tomato flavor). Mix this thoroughly using your hands (or a spatula if you really want to). Add 3 tbsp olive oil and mix until evenly coated.

Then you'll want to put the spices into your snack mix. You will need 1 1/2 tbsp creole (or cajun) seasoning, 1/2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, and salt to taste. You really don't need but a pinch of salt because there is plenty in the creole seasoning and on the pretzels.  Mix this until everything is coated evenly. You can always adjust the other seasonings to taste as well. 

Spread your mixture evenly onto a cooking sheet. You will probably have to split this into two batches. This is preferable anyway because then you can see how the first batch turns out and adjust the seasonings or cooking time for the second batch if needed. 

Bake this in a oven set to 275 for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until your mixture turns golden brown. Can we talk about how hilarious Molly is in the corner of this picture? She always sits up and stares at me while I am cooking. I think she is always expecting that I'll end up with a treat for her. 


Serve it up! I found this to be really addicting. I love crunchy snacks. I believe we've discussed this before. This is also a nice little treat to make and gift to others. I made sure to share some of mine. If you haven't carved a pumpkin yet then hopefully this will give you a reason to run out and get one to carve right away!

Until next time. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment