Monday, October 10, 2011

Easy Yogurt Pasta Sauce

I am a huge fan of pasta. Let's admit it, I am huge fan of carbs in general. It's a problem. The only thing I hate about pasta is the jarred sauces you find in the store. Almost every kind that I ever buy tastes pretty awful to me. They just always taste so bland or off in flavor. Therefore, I've been venturing out into making sauces from scratch. I recently put together this sauce and it turned out to be incredibly delicious. It was so easy to put together that I just had to share it.

Ingredients
mushrooms
plain yogurt
olive oil
basil
garlic
pepper and salt

Dice up all of your mushrooms. The container that I bought had 8 oz. (1 cup) of mushrooms in it. This might look like a lot at first, but they cook down a lot. 

You'll want to put 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a pan and let it heat up for about a minute or so before adding in your mushrooms. 

Add in your mushrooms and let them cook down and get super tasty. This will probably take about 5 minutes on a medium heat.

While your mushrooms are cooking, you'll chop up some basil and measure out 1 tsp of minced garlic.  Feel free to mince up your own fresh garlic cloves. One tsp is usually about two cloves. I didn't exactly measure the basil, but it's around 2 teaspoons of FRESH basil (if you decide to use dry, I would cut this in half at first and then adjust after tasting). 

After your mushrooms have cooked down, add the garlic and basil right into the whole mixture. Let those flavors get cooked in for about a minute or two. You can also add pepper and salt to taste at this point.

Lower your heat quite a bit at this point and add in 1/2 cup of your plain yogurt. 

Mix it all up until the whole thing is nice and creamy. The yogurt will appear to thin out quite a bit. 


You can put this on whatever type of pasta you desire. I love little bow ties. I think they're adorable. I told you I have a weird thing for cute food, right? Saying how much it makes is kind of difficult because it really depends on how much sauce that you like on your pasta. I would say that this makes anywhere from 2-4 servings though. This is really delicious and pretty simple to put together. The tang of the yogurt makes this whole thing just really awesome. Enjoy!

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. this looks delicious. i must make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awful! I tried to make this and the yogurt curdled and made the kitchen smell like spit up. Turn the heat off and then add yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had that bad experience. I did lower the heat quite a bit before I added the yogurt (as mentioned in the post) and you're right, you could probably even turn it off completely before you add it. The pan will probably still be hot enough to help the yogurt blend into the sauce.

      Delete