Monday, September 12, 2011

Homemade Dog Treats

Since we just celebrated Molly's birthday, I decided to make a post that is somewhat focused around her. I know, I know. I mention her in almost every post, so it's probably not really that special. Just let me pretend, okay? As I mentioned before, I love the idea of making a homemade version of things that you would use on a regular basis. Well, when you have a dog then dog treats are something that you end up having regularly. So, I decided to make some homemade treats! 

Ingredients
carrots
banana
peanut butter
oats
applesauce
whole wheat flour
all-purpose flour

Grate your carrots until you have around 1/2 cup. Of course, you could buy shredded carrots and it would eliminate the grating step. 

Mash your banana in with your grated carrots.

Add 1/4 cup of applesauce and 1/4 cup of peanut butter (creamy). 

Stir it all together until it's well blended. 

At this point you're ready to add in your flour and oats. I used 1/4 cup of oats, 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour, and 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour. I used a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose because I find that if I only use whole wheat that the dough will crumble too easily. 

Mix this until you form your dough. You can always add flour if needed. 

Flour a surface and roll out your dough. I split the dough up into several small pieces due to my limited amount of space. This also just makes it easier in general, I think. Use your cookie cutter of choice and cut out your treats. Of course, you could always just use a knife and cut the dough into small squares. I used a cupcake cookie cutter (of course). 

Lay your treats out on a cooking sheet. Bake your treats in an oven set to 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. 

Your treats will get a little golden brown, but might not totally crisp up. Mine still had a somewhat soft texture to them and I could have maybe baked them a little longer. They looked like they had turned out well to me, but I wasn't the one that was going to be eating them.  

So, I turned to Molly in order to find out what she thought about them. She seemed excited. 

She kind of sniffed at it at first, but then gobbled it up. 

Then she looked up at me like she wanted more. I think that means it was a hit. 

If you do have a dog or dogs then I hope that you find this recipe useful. 
It was really fun making homemade treats for her. I liked being able to know exactly what I was feeding her. I'd like to think that she could tell that there was effort and love put into those treats. 

Until next time. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this! My dog LOVES carrots and peanut butter, so I think she'd be super happy with this.
    ♡ Brooke

    ReplyDelete