Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Roasted Chickpeas

I love crunchy snacks. I crave crunchy snacks. I decided to do something about this craving and to make a new snack. These ended up tasting wonderful. I only wish that I would've made more!

15 oz. can of chickpeas
1 tbsp soybean oil (vegetable, canola, or olive oil will work)
cayenne pepper
 garlic powder
salt

Drain your can of chickpeas and rinse them as well. 

You might notice some little pieces of skin hanging out with your chickpeas. You can just discard any of them that might be floating around. Some of your chickpeas will still have the skin on them. You don't really need to bother going through and pulling the skin off of all of them. Did I? Yes, because I am a freak and once I noticed it, I couldn't help but to go through and discard them all. It takes awhile and it is more of a hassle than it is worth. Hopefully it is easier for all of you to just walk away.

After you've picked out the little pieces of skin (or skinned all of your chickpeas because you have no life) then you can lay them out and dry them off. 

Lay your chickpeas out onto a cooking sheet. At this point you should toss them with the soybean oil (or your choice of oil) and the spices. You can really put on the spices to taste. I think I ended up using about a tsp of each (maybe a little more salt and garlic). Make sure the chickpeas are all evenly covered in oil and spread out. Stick them into a preheated oven that is set to 450 degrees. You'll want to cook them for around 30-40 minutes. You may hear some popping in the oven during this process. Don't be (too) alarmed! They pop open once they get nice and crunchy. Check on your chickpeas throughout the process and give them a little toss every once and awhile. 

I love easy recipes like this. They usually end up with a smaller mess to deal with. Best part.


Yumm. You end up with a really crunchy snack. They almost reminded me of Corn Nuts. Not in taste, but in texture. They're delicious. They shrink down a lot, so if you are planning on sharing then I would definitely double (or triple) the recipe. Enjoy!

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Roasted chickpeas = one of the best things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm these look so simple and SO yummy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious! I will have to make some!

    ReplyDelete