Monday, August 8, 2011

Farmers' Market Finds

I have been seeing these signs all around town throughout the summer. I have been saying to myself, "Oh, I should go to the Farmers' Market," for way to long. We have three different locations that set up a Farmers' Market on four different days. That's a lot of chances for me to get out and go to one. You would think I would have gone before now. Well, Hi, I'm Sara and I procrastinate. Even when it comes to things I WANT to do. Pretty sad, huh? 

The point is, I finally went! I was super excited and ready to find some delicious local and fresh items. 

I have been considering getting my own herbs for awhile now. The only thing that concerned me was where I would put them. We don't have a very good window to put them in. Actually, we don't have a window at all to put them in. We have one big sliding glass door. Well, I decided to ignore this issue and buy these three gorgeous herbs (3 for $10). They are rosemary, cilantro, and basil. They have since been repotted and are currently outside. They're doing really well (I guess this means I should admit that this post is coming to you guys a couple weeks after I actually went to the market). I just want to be able to keep them during the colder months, so I need to figure something out. Suggestions?

I bought three different squashes. (3 for $2)

I got some really beautiful tomatoes ($2.50) and jalapenos (4 for $1)!

Guilty pleasure buy of the day. There was a guy sitting in a sad little corner that had different homemade spice blends and butters. He also had samples. Samples are bad news. I tried some of this and then bought it right away ($2). It's so delicious. A little goes a long way. 

These peaches were SO juicy. I tried to use them as quickly as possible because they were ready, man. We basically came home and started eating them up. I also used them in the spiced peach cupcakes I made a little over a week ago. We bought a bag of these peaches which had about 6 or so in it. ($4)

That's how my first Farmers' Market trip went! I've already tried to go to a different location on a different day, but for some reason the market decided to not show up that day. So, I think I have a goal of going this Saturday. Also, I will be back posting again tomorrow (I know, right?) to share with you the meal I made using lots of my Farmers' Market finds!

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. mmmm, that honey butter looks heavenly. and the peaches... that picture makes me want one right now!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchini are great right now.

    For the herbs - you best find a sunny window during the winter. :) Or build a tiny greenhouse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!? Where have you been all my life!? I just jumped over from your ad on Love Elycia and have been reading through your blog. I think you are my long lost blog twin! I won't list all of the similarities, but there are many. Like you, I just graduated (and don't feel bad, it took me six years too). I also have a dog... ...named Molly! I am terrible about procrastinating, hence the name of my blog. And I also have been wanting my own herbs, but there is not a good place to keep them in our teensy apartment! I'm so glad I found you. Can't wait to read along! :-)

    ReplyDelete