Monday, August 29, 2011

Chickpea Tacos

If you haven't noticed, I seem to going in themes with my recipes. No, this wasn't a well though out plan. I think it is actually because I get excited about specific ingredients and then end up using them a lot until I get burnt out on them. The inspiration for this specific recipe came from a craving that I was having. Someone had brought up tacos and I started craving a taco in a bag or a walking taco, as some people call them. This is basically where you take all of your taco ingredients and stuff them into an individually sized corn chip bag. Well, since I am avoiding red meat as much as possible and trying to eat healthier in general, I decided that eating that probably wasn't the best idea. So, my mind started to wander into what I could do to change up the normal taco. Here's what I came up with!

15 oz. can of chickpeas
red cabbage
red onion
jalapeno
avocado
cilantro
tomato
plain yogurt
cumin (1 tsp)
chili powder (1 tsp)
onion powder (1/2 tsp)
garlic powder (1/2 tsp)
paprika (1/2 tsp)
tortillas 

Start by rinsing your chickpeas off and then placing them in a pan with about 1/2 cup of water.

Next add all of your spices (as listed above) and then stir well. You'll want to put this on a medium heat and let it simmer while you're putting together the rest of your recipe. You'll need to keep an eye on it and add water as needed (basically if the sauce is becoming too thick).

Now we're going to make a slaw to put on top of our tacos! Chop up your cabbage and put it into a bowl. I used about half of the head of cabbage and ended up eating on this slaw for about three days. So, you really don't need that much if you're only making it for a couple of people. It is tasty to just snack on though, I think. 

Dice up your red onion and add it to your cabbage (approx. 1/2 cup)

Dice up just a few pinches of cilantro. I have cilantro in my little herb garden, so I love being able to use it as much as possible. Add this to your growing cabbage mixture.

Dice up one jalapeno and add it to the bowl. You can always do less jalapeno depending on your heat preference. I love spice.

Next you'll add one avocado and the juice of one lime to this mixture (which I didn't take a picture of for some reason). If you want advice on picking out or cutting up an avocado, check out my guacamole recipe. Give it a good stir and get the avocado blended in there. I also added a little salt and pepper for seasoning. You end up with a really pretty looking slaw that it pretty tasty as well.

Dice up your tomato and open up your yogurt. Set these out and you have all of your toppings ready for your tacos! I used yogurt in place of sour cream and it was an excellent alternative. My husband even said that it tasted very similar to having sour cream on his taco. 

Your chickpeas should be done by this time (I think I ended up letting them simmer for around 10-15 minutes). They should have this nice red tone to them and the sauce will be somewhat thick, but also pretty cooked into the beans themselves. Now you're ready to assemble your tacos.


I ended up using this Flatout wrap. It was a little more bready than using an actual tortilla, but it was still pretty good. You can use whatever tortilla makes you happy. I had also thought about putting these inside of a lettuce wrap, but couldn't find any decent sized lettuce at the grocery store that day. No matter what you end up using, I hope that you enjoy these tacos! They're definitely different, but a refreshing twist from the normal. 

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Sara!
    Definitely bookmarking this to try it out with my vegetarian friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i loooove chickpeas! thanks for sharing :)
    kinda reminds me of one of my faves:
    http://veganyumyum.com/2007/12/chickpea-radish-hors-doeuvres/

    ReplyDelete