Monday, August 1, 2011

Black Bean Burger

I have been trying to eat less (or no) red meat. I talked about this in June, so it has been going on for some time now. When we took our trip to Ohio in the beginning of July, we ended up eating at a restaurant which has a great burger special. Luckily, they had a black bean burger alternative. I was pretty excited about trying it since I had never had one. It was delicious. I did not miss having meat in my burger at all. It was filling and held together so nicely. Since having that burger, I have been super excited to try and make my own at home. Well, I finally did it and it was way easier than I expected.

black beans - 15 oz. can or soaked beans
onion - 1/4 cup
cilantro - 1/8 cup
jalapenos - 1/8 cup
cayenne - 1/4 tsp
adobo seasoning - 2 tsp
plain bread crumbs - 1 tbsp

I started the recipe off by putting 3/4 of the black beans into a bowl. I used canned black beans. I know, I know. Canned probably isn't the BEST choice, but it is what I had on hand. I would like to start soaking beans instead, but I've never done this before. I'll make sure to do it sometime and let you know how it goes. 

Using my awesome hand blender (that I apparently use in almost every recipe), I blended the beans until they started to turn dough-like. This still had some texture to it and it was definitely thick. 

I diced 1/4 of an onion which came out to be approx. 1/4 of a cup. 

I took just a small handful of cilantro and diced it. This ended up being approx. 1/8 of a cup. You could always give or take the cilantro, again. I just love it so much!

I like heat. I never realized how much I enjoy spicy food until recently. I've been on a huge jalapeno kick. If I had fresh jalapenos, I might have used them. I just diced up about 1/8 of a cup worth of pickled jalapenos. If spice scares you, you could always use less (wimp).  It really wasn't that spicy, I promise. 

After all of the dicing, I tossed everything into the bowl with the blended black beans. This also included the 1/2 tsp of cayenne, 1 tbsp bread crumbs, 2 tsp of adobo seasoning, and the last of the black beans (left whole). Adobo seasoning is this Mexican blend which includes salt, garlic powder, sugar, and other spices. It's pretty dang tasty. 

After mixing all of your ingredients together, you can now form your patties. I just split the mixture into two patties, you could maybe make three out of this though. Four would definitely be pushing it (unless you want to make sliders). I was so happy with how nicely they were holding together at this point. I love how pretty all of the diced ingredients looked as well. Come on, does anyone else get super excited about gorgeous food!?

I sprayed down my pan with olive oil cooking spray. I set the heat to a good solid medium and let the pan warm a little before putting the burgers in there. After I put them in the pan, I let them brown on each side for around 5-6 minutes. Obviously, you are not cooking any raw meat, so you just want them to get a little golden and become a little more sturdy (and warm). 

After cooking, your burger should be browned on each side as shown above. I love the crisp layer that it gets from this process. Your burger will still have some give to it overall, so don't be alarmed. 

I topped my burger with avocado and put it on a whole wheat bun. I served it with a fruit salad that was made up of watermelon, nectarine, and lime juice. The really exciting part for me is that you can really take this recipe in any direction that you would like. Change up the vegetables and spices that you put into it! Either way, I am sure it will turn out delicious. If you decide to use this recipe, I really hope that you enjoy it. In fact, let me know if you end up using it! I'd love to hear back from you. 

Until next time. 

2 comments:

  1. I love black beans. Nice recipe and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those look perfect! Also - soaking beans = super easy! Just rinse them, leave them out in a bowl overnight, filled with water to cover them. The next day drain them and put in a pot with enough water to cover them. I honestly don't even time it and they always turn out. Cover, bring to a boil, simmer, let sit until it smells like they're done! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete