Monday, July 18, 2011

Simple, Simple Guacamole

I decided to share my simple guacamole with you all today because I feel the same way towards it as my hummus. It is one of those foods that I really enjoy having from time to time and just never realized how easy it was to make until I tried it. It's also much more satisfying when homemade (at least I think so). So, yes, this is a ridiculously easy recipe, but that's the best part!

ripe avocados (I ended up using 3)
juice from 1 lime
onion
cilantro
1 clove of garlic
cumin (1/2 tsp)
cayenne (1/2 tsp)

When looking for a ripe avocado, you want the skin to be pretty dark, but still have a little green to it. It will give a little when you squeeze it, but won't feel mushy. If it's completely green, it is definitely not ripe enough and will still be hard to the bite. If it's too dark and mushy, it will probably be brown in the inside and that's just kind of yucky. 

When you slice open your avocado, you'll see the obvious pit inside. The easiest way to get this out is to take a knife and slam it down onto the pit so that it cuts into it. Once you've done this, you can twist your knife to the side and pull out. 

In order to get the avocado off the skin easily, I usually just cut it in a grid formation. It's similar to cutting up a mango, if you're familiar with that. The nice part is that an avocado will slide easily out of the skin once you've cut it like this and squeeze it out. 

See? Super easy. The pieces just kind of fall out for you into the bowl. Since you're going to be mashing it all up as well, it doesn't matter too much if it gets a little mushed during this process. You know what another great idea is? Don't take care of your nails before you take pictures of your hands. It's super attractive. Sorry about that, guys. 

Add half of the lime juice onto your avocado at this point! This helps to keep the avocado from browning while you're busy cutting up your other ingredients and it also gets the flavors going. 

I ended up dicing up about 1/4 of an onion (which was a little less than 1/2 a cup). 

I am a huge cilantro fan, but I know that not everyone likes it. I ended up using about 1/4 cup for this recipe. You could always leave this out if cilantro isn't your thing, but I really enjoy it. 

Add your diced cilantro and onions in with your avocado. At this point you will also add in your diced  garlic (just one clove), cumin (1/2 tsp), cayenne (1/2 tsp), salt (to taste), and the other half of the lime juice.  Then you just start mushing it all together! I just used the back of a large fork and pushed it into the sides of the bowl until it looked blended. 


Here's your end result. Yumm! I like to keep my guacamole chunky. You can keep blending yours together until you get it to the consistency that you prefer. I know a lot of people like to add other ingredients into guacamole (corn, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.), but I really enjoy just simple guacamole. Avocados are just too delicious by themselves to cover up with a bunch of extra ingredients. If you decide to try making your own guacamole, I hope that you enjoy it! 

Until next time. <3

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog's font! It's so fun! I love to keep my guacamole a bit chunky too and I love that you gave a tip on what color of the skin should we choose when picking an avocado. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 of the best things ever: avocado & hummus.

    Nice de-pitting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get enough guac in my life right now... or ever really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jonha | FriendsEat Thanks! If I find something helpful, I always hope that it will help at least one other person. I still haven't mastered the art of picking out all of my produce, but hopefully I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete