Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hu{mmm}us

As I have mentioned before, I have been trying to find some healthy snacks to have around the house. Again, my medication makes me feel hungry quite often. In order to avoid this getting the best of me, I wanted to be fully aware of what I am putting into my body. This not only includes planning my main meals, but my snacks as well. It has really helped me to feel more aware of what I am eating in general. I have even been able to keep track of my calorie intake and have reduced that down to a healthy amount! Anyway - the point is, I snack. One of my favorite snacks in hummus. It can be somewhat pricey, especially after thinking about how easy it would be to make. So, I decided to make some of my own!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Ingredients:
1 red pepper
2 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/4 cup of olive oil (I use extra virgin)
 15 oz can of garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 tablespoon cumin (or to taste)
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
salt to taste

This recipe makes approximately 2 cups. 


I started by roasting the red pepper. I put it on a foil lined baking sheet that I sprayed with a little bit of non-stick spray. I cooked the pepper for about 30 minutes at 450 degrees (Fahrenheit). You basically just want all of the sides to be somewhat blackened.  After I took it out of the oven, I placed it into a bowl and covered it with foil.


I let the pepper sit in the bowl covered for about 20 minutes or so. This gave the pepper time to cool down, but to also steam itself. This allowed for the skin to come off easily. See? I thought it was pretty neat. 


I diced up the red pepper and tossed that into a bowl. Then I just added all of the other ingredients (as listed above) into the bowl. Oh, make sure to dice up your garlic as well. 


Finally, I blended it all together. I used my hand blender, which I absolutely love. It has been so helpful. I am sure you could use a normal blender, but you would probably want it on a fairly low setting. Make sure that you are mixing it all up as you go. The garlic pieces like to sneak away and it isn't too pleasant finding a big chunk of garlic in the middle of your nice, creamy hummus. 



Yumm. This is your final product. So, so tasty and easy. You can top it with a little more olive oil when you serve it. This not only makes it look pretty, but it also can make it a little creamier. I had it served here with baked pita crackers, but I also ate it throughout the week with pretzels, wasa crackers, and cucumbers. Serving it with other vegetables (carrots, peppers, etc.) makes for a pretty tasty snack. If you haven't tried hummus and are interested, I definitely recommend doing it yourself. I felt like this was way tastier than any store bought hummus that I have ever had. 

Until next time.  <3

2 comments: