Friday, July 8, 2011

DIY Utensil Holder

I found this image awhile ago floating around somewhere on the internet. I have been dying to attempt to make it. I have had the same little utensil holder that has been stuffed full for awhile now. I love how charming this looks and the idea of it being up and off my counter is very appealing. After tracking down the origin of this photograph, I found this article on the DIY Network's website. It wasn't extremely helpful on how to really go about making this, so I decided to just go for it. The only thing the article mentioned was using bolts. Well, psh. I didn't have bolts or a power drill. So, here is what I did.

2 cans (15 oz each)
2 pieces of wood
Hammer
Nails
Screwdriver
Frame Hangers (y'know, the little alligator teeth ones)

I had these pieces of wood left over from our wedding. We used them as part of our centerpieces during the reception. I have used a few of them for other things, but have still been trying to figure out what I can do with the other 15 or so that I have left. I was going to put the two cans on the same piece of wood, but I decided that I liked the heart with our initials showing, so I decided to use two pieces of wood with one can on each.

I have seen the actual cans that are in the picture that I used as my inspiration. They are pretty pricey though, as compared to the other things that were already on my shopping list. Although I loved the way that the other cans looked, I decided that I didn't really feel like spending around $4 a piece for them. So, I simply used two cans from items that I used throughout the week. 

Since the cans I used didn't really have the most charming labels, I decided to use this left over paper bag to redecorate them, in a way. I felt like it would help maintain the rustic look that I was going for. 

So, I started this all off by making sure that I could actually puncture the cans easily without power tools. I just poked  a small hole through the can with my little mini-screwdriver. It was quite easy. 

I took the original labels off of the cans and replaced them with a strip that I cut from the paper bag. I did this by just wrapping it around and taping it on the backside. I am sure I could have used something more secure (glue gun or super glue), but the whole idea of this project was to use what I already had in the house.

I started hammering a nail into the wood to start a pathway for the the nail. This was just to make it easier, because I knew I wouldn't be able to fully hammer the nail down once I had it inside of the can. 

This is how far down the nail went with the path that I had made for it. To get it down the rest of the way, I hammered it down using the side of the hammer. You have to be a little more cautious and patient this way, but it worked out fine. 


I really didn't think that the nail would make it all the way through the backside. Ugh, it was kind of upsetting. I got over it real quickly though. I just hammered down the nail so that it was flat against the backside of the wood. No problem.

Then I decided to test it out. Well, I didn't think about this happening. Easy solution though - I just decided to add another nail into the bottom half of the can. 

This time I went through the back of the wood into the can. This was a little easier. The only thing is that then you have a TINY little bit of nail sticking out on the inside of the can, but I don't really plan on reaching my hand down in there. 

Yay! It stays straight now. 

I did the same thing for the second can and piece of wood. Then I looked up and realized that I made a mess. 

After both of the cans were on, I added the frame hanger to the back. I would actually suggest that you do this BEFORE you put the cans on. I only did it afterwards because I was afraid that this project wasn't going to work out at all. Having the cans already on the piece of wood makes it quite difficult to hammer this onto it. 

Again with the tilting. Ugh. So, one frame hanger on the back of each piece of wood was not enough.

I went back and just added one to each side of the piece of wood. Then we finally had the final product!



I love it. I am pretty excited that it worked out. I know it might not be the fanciest DIY project, but the only money I ended up spending was $1 for the frame hangers. Everything else I had on hand already. I am loving the extra space for all of my kitchen utensils. 

Until next time. <3

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to get those utensils out of the drawer and close by for quick use! I love it!

    ReplyDelete