Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ugh, first posts are the worst.




So, here I am. A month away from turning 25. A month past graduating from college. In the middle of figuring out what the heck is wrong with my digestive system. Hi, by the way, my name is Sara. I suppose the direction of this blog will emerge through time. As of now, my plan is to just share with whoever is out there what I am experiencing in life. This will primarily deal with my job search, my obsession with cooking and baking, my health "issues", and my desperate want to be more crafty.

Here is where we stand as far as my health goes: I am currently seeing a gastroenterologist in order to figure out why I am having a ~mystery~ pain in my side. The squiggles make it more mysterious or magical, I suppose. I have already gone through getting a pregnancy test, pelvic exam, CAT scan, multiple blood tests, and a colonoscopy (shudder). The colonoscopy was the most enlightening, in that it showed the possibility for Crohn's disease. YAY!

Crohn's disease is a chronic (ongoing) disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive or gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Although it can involve any area of the GI tract from the mouth to the anus, it most commonly affects the small intestine and/or colon.

The irritation with my small intestine is mild, but definitely something. So, we're currently testing medications in order to see what I respond to in order to decide if this is Crohn's or possibly something else. I started out on one steroid and didn't respond to like my doctor said I should. BUT he did think I was responding to it at least slightly. So, today I started a slightly more intense steroid. After a week, I should be able to tell if it is helping. After two weeks, I should definitely be able to tell and am supposed to contact my doctor to decide where to go from there. It is all super fun.

I suppose that is enough for now. At least you have a slight introduction into who I am...at least at the moment. I promise you'll learn more through my future posts about life, food, and whatever. <3

Picture Credit: http://emiljafrances.tumblr.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment