Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's Shark...er...Fish Week!

Having the free fish that we received from my Dad has really helped out, considering we were in between grocery trips. It has helped me to try and be creative and use what we have around the house. When I think about making fish, I usually just think about baking it with simple seasonings. Since we have plenty of fish to make into quite a few meals, I really wanted to try different things with each piece. Okay, so this is still an easy idea, but I felt pretty good about myself with this one. I decided to use the halibut this time around to make a chowder/soup with it. Here's what I used:

  • One piece of halibut (I am terrible at guessing...let's say around a pound)
  • 5 small-medium red potatoes (Obviously, I ended up using 4 less than in the picture)
  • 1 shallot (OR whatever onion will work, this is what I had in the kitchen)
  • 1 tbsp dill
  • 32 oz. of chicken broth
  • 1 cup of half & half (or cream...or milk)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
First, I started the whole thing out by dicing up my shallot and put it in some olive oil to saute. I didn't do it as long as I normally would because I knew it would be cooking within the soup for awhile as well. I cooked them just long enough until they softened up a bit, but weren't completely clear. 
After the onions did their thing, I added in the chicken broth, diced potatoes, dill, pepper, and salt. I put this on about a medium-high heat and let it simmer-boil for close to 15 minutes. It doesn't take too terribly long for the potatoes to get soft, but I still wanted them to have some bite. 
Finally, I did a really ugly chop on the halibut (I had to take it off the skin and it was just a mess). I combined this along with eeeeverything else. It really only takes the halibut 3-5 minutes to get cooked all the way through. It turns white almost as soon as it hits the hot broth. I love when things are easy. 

There you have it, done! It was so easy and REALLY tasty. Again, I was pretty proud on this one. Soups are becoming something that I really enjoy making. Probably because they can be so dang easy. This would be super yummy with a more crusty bread, but I just paired with the some Pillsbury rolls (again, because it is what I had in the kitchen). This ended up making about 5-6 decent sized bowls of soup. 

So, the whole fish thing has been good so far. I promise, I won't be blogging about how I cook fish forever. I actually have a few different ideas for the things that I would like to share with you that I hope you'll enjoy too. Until next time. <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment