Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hey, Fatty.

As far as food goes, my doctor did mention taking in more good fat and avoiding the bad fats. I am sure this is a good thing to do all of the time, but for the sake of my insides I will try particularly hard to do this now. All the bad fats are just so easy to find. Sigh. LUCKILY, fish is something that does contain these good fats (Omega 3 fatty acids). EVEN MORE LUCKILY, my Dad just got back from a fishing trip in Canada. He happens to be allergic to fish (yes, fish - not shell fish). So, he passed a bunch of gorgeous looking salmon and halibut our way. Last night I decided to take full advantage of these tasty, encouraged fats.
Here it is. Isn't it beautiful? This is one of the four HUGE pieces of salmon that we got from my Dad. One was definitely enough for the two of us (Myself and my husband. I suppose I should get around to introducing him soon). I was seriously so excited, but also so scared. I just really didn't want to mess it up. Fish seems so easy to cook because it has such a short cooking time. At the same time though, it seems so delicate to me and that terrifies me in a way. I decided to just keep it simple. I seasoned it with pepper, salt, lemon pepper, and a little bit of olive oil. I baked it in the oven on a foil lined baking sheet at 450 degrees (Fahrenheit) for about 20 minutes. I had previously read that there is a general rule of  cooking  fish where you cook it 5 minutes for every half inch. My piece was about 2 inches thick, so I suppose 20 minutes makes sense. This piece of salmon also had the skin left on it, which I placed facing down onto the baking sheet. In the end, the fish slid right off of the skin. It was pretty miraculous. 
I also made some snap peas as a side dish. These suckers are seriously SO easy to make and NOT mess up. I cleaned them off, boiled them in some salt water for 2 minutes, and then shocked them in cold water to stop the cooking process. DONE. It's amazing and one of my new favorite things to make. I topped them off with a dash of salt, pepper, and olive oil (another source of good fat). 
Have you met my best friend? Okay, that might be a little ridiculous, but I seriously love this lil' guy. I am a huge fan of rice and he just makes it taste so darn good. If you are a big fan of rice or just enjoy it being cooked properly then you should definitely invest in a rice cooker. It's awesome. This particular one also doubles as a steamer which is quite helpful at times.
I topped the fish off with a TINY bit of lemon butter (I know, bad fat). Overall though, it was a delicious and easy dinner. Yumm. Also, my apologies for the terrible pictures. My camera's battery was dead and I ended up using my iPad. Not the best source for decent photographs. 

So, good fats shouldn't be so difficult to eat. As far as these bad fats, I am sure they will be a little harder to avoid. As far as easy solutions, I plan to:
  • Eat less red meat.
  • Buy non-fat dairy products (milk, cheese, etc.).
  • Eat less/no fried foods!
  • Discover new and better oils for cooking.
Until next time. <3

1 comment:

  1. I like the title to this post. It made me chuckle. :) I'm so glad you like the rice cooker. I knew you would like it. We use ours a lot. :) I love you and your blog.

    -Ash

    ReplyDelete